Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WHY ARE NEW DAYLILIES SO EXPENSIVE?

  I have been known to spend up to $175 on a daylily and just this past week-end won a new daylily that was selling for $300! So my question just expanded to "and who's crazy enough to pay that much?"
My newest introductions are $100. Why?
  1. I'm lucky if I have 15 to sell and in some cases there are only 7 or so. Daylilies are much slower to increase then iris so the fact is these are the only ones in existence on the planet! Most hybridizers want to keep some around to extend the breeding lines so numbers are even more limited. Exclusiveity is the rule, at least the first year.
  2. Taking a plant from one little seed to an introduction takes me about six to seven years. That's simply a lot of TLC growing it, evaluating and sending around to places to see how it performs. If I actually put all the expenses to paper, I'd probably be shocked!
  So, the newer the plant, the more expensive, simply because of sheer numbers available.
   Now honestly, most of those that are "crazy" enough to spend that much are other hybridizers looking for something that's an improvement over older varieties and might fit into their breeding goals. Others are simply connoisseurs that want the best new stuff in their garden.
   Before I end don't think there aren't any good, cheap lilies out there. I have several on my website under $10 that have proven themselves worthy over the years that I'd highly recommend. So enjoy no matter what the price! DAYLILIES UNDER $10

No comments:

Post a Comment